Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Jerry Moll, Jarvis Umphers

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 31 May 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:37 pm

Life's Healing Choices

If You Want to Change, Then Face the Truth
By Rick Warren — 07/01/2021

“You have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him.”

Ephesians 4:21 (NLT)

The secret to personal change is not willpower. The secret is to know and face the truth. So, if you want to change, you must know and face the truth about yourself and your nature.

You need to face the truth about your weaknesses, your relationships, your successes, your failures, your past, and your future.

Nothing changes until you know and face the truth. And that truth is found in Jesus Christ.

Why is it necessary to learn the truth before anything can change in your life? Here’s why: Behind every self-defeating habit in your life is a lie that you believe.

If you’re in debt, it might be because you believed some lies like “I can spend and get away with it” or “I can always pay it back.” You might have overestimated how much you were going to make, or you believed the lie that you needed a much bigger house.

But do you? Are you sure it’s the truth? Can you prove it’s the truth? Are you absolutely certain that what you’ve believed about your finances is true?

What about your relationships? What about the things you say to yourself about yourself? Is the way you think about your past true? Or is the truth what God says about it?

The Bible teaches that personal change starts with truth. The truth sets you free. The apostle Paul says, “You have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him” (Ephesians 4:21 NLT).

Who is the truth? It’s Jesus. And because Jesus is the truth, he will always tell you the truth. His Word is the truth. The Bible is his Word, and that means the Bible is truth. (You can read more about that in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.)

What you hear on television or read in books won’t always help you—because it’s not always the truth. In fact, if you consistently listen to what voices around you are saying, you’ll find your life built on a foundation of lies, misconceptions, deceptions, and half-truths. And you will never change.

But what God tells you is always the truth. God’s Word shows you how to get back to the life you were created to live, and then it shows you how to stay on God’s path. This is why it is so important for you to have a daily quiet time in the Word of God. Nothing will change until you get the truth into your heart.

Choose today to face and respond to the truth. Then you’ll begin to see positive change in your life.

Talk It Over

Where, other than God’s Word, have you looked for the truth about your life? How has that failed you?
When did God’s Word help you understand a truth about yourself?
What do you need to change about your schedule and priorities so that you can spend time every day reading God’s Word?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Bible Study Verses
Psalms 105:1-2
Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples! Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him; Talk of all His wondrous works! (NKJV)

Thoughts
As hunters and fishers, we so much like to sit with others and talk about our last outdoor trip--the successes we had or the beauty we enjoyed in the outdoors. With that in mind, as Christian outdoor men and women, we should have no problem sharing His wondrous works and deeds. We, of all people, have more opportunities than most to experience His beauty and majesty in the outdoors and to appreciate how unique the critters are that He has created.
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Next time you're sitting around telling hunting and fishing stories, try to incorporate God into the conversation. What a perfect opportunity to give Him credit for all He has done in your life and for all, He has created.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Bible Study Verse
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.
Proverbs 13:12 (NIV)

Thoughts
No one keeps his or her tackle more well-organized than my son’s Godfather, Jim. Lures, separated by brand and model, are stored in individually labeled trays. I am thankful that he also has a giving spirit. When I am planning a trip to a new lake, he often supplements my small, tangled mess of “stuff” with brand-name stock from his inventory. God’s word says, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”. Jim is prepared and he is willing to share his equipment, even when he is not able to tag along. And that is why I was disheartened the day he asked me, “Can I even consider myself a fisherman anymore? I mean, sure, I’ve got all the equipment, but I never actually use it.” Ever notice how time spent planning a trip, and the anticipation of what lies ahead, can be every bit as enjoyable as the trip itself? The hope for fulfilled expectations and shared lifetime memories is a powerful motivator. But if you look ahead on the calendar and never see a week blocked out for vacation…well, it can be deflating. Jason L.

Action Point
How quickly we fall into a trap of being weighed down by persistent demands on our time, never-ending deadlines, and schedules full of places to be. But breaks are necessary, too, because the rejuvenating power of “hope fulfilled” provides the drive and energy to push forward through life’s pressures.
Especially when you’re busy, set aside a moment to enjoy God’s creation. In that experience, look around and you will see God continually at work, even in your leisure. Those mini miracles you observe will be the reminder to keep looking for Jesus’ return! One time I was talking to another friend of mine on the phone and he said he was “just at home doing weekly chores”. I replied, “C’mon, let’s go fishing instead. No one sits around the campfire reminiscing about how clean his house was!”

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:25 am

Bible Study Verse
1 John 4:7a MSG
My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God.

Thoughts
We were going elk hunting near the upper Green River in Wyoming. This was not your typical elk hunt because one of our party members was going through an extremely difficult time in his life. His wife was dying of cancer. With that in mind, the main focus of this hunt was to get him a big bull elk. What was typical, however, was the November weather: Cold and about 4 inches of freshly fallen snow. As we moved up in elevation, the sun was just beginning to rise. We navigated our way across the river as a haze of fog was hovering over the water. We got above the morning fog and spotted a couple of bulls grazing on the mountain side about a mile away. We took off after them through timber and were able to get within long shooting range. Our friend made a remarkable shot to harvest his magnificent trophy bull elk. After finishing with the congratulations and big bear hugs we all sat there in amazement. We soaked in the peace and tranquility as we looked over the beautiful lake and snow capped mountains in the background. As time stood still each of us was lost in our own thoughts, thanking the Lord for helping us to accomplish our mission. Bob M

Action Point
Having been on many elk hunts in my lifetime, this one qualifies as my most memorable and most meaningful because we rallied around each other and worked as a team to get a dear friend a dream bull. This hunt was about the love each of us had for this man. Each of us sacrificed our own desires to make this hunt take place. God blessed us in our quest. He is amazing. As we walk through life remember to love one another because love comes from God. It is not always what we say that makes a difference but more often it’s what we do with our actions that may stamp someone’s memory and make an impact on someone’s life.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am

Life's Healing Choices
Spiritual Growth Begins with a Decision
By Rick Warren — 07/19/2021

“God wants us to grow up, to know the whole truth and tell it in love—like Christ in everything."

Ephesians 4:15 (The Message)

God wants you to grow up.

The Bible says, “We are not meant to remain as children” (Ephesians 4:14 PHILLIPS). Your heavenly Father’s goal for you is to mature and develop the characteristics of Jesus Christ, living a life of love and humble service.

Yet many Christians grow older but never grow up. They’re stuck in perpetual spiritual infancy, remaining in diapers and booties. One reason is because they never intended to grow.

Spiritual growth is not automatic; it takes an intentional commitment. You must want to grow, decide to grow, make an effort to grow, and persist in growing.

Discipleship is a fancy word for spiritual growth; it’s the process of becoming like Christ. And it always begins with a decision.

Matthew 9 tells of Jesus calling some of his first disciples: “‘Follow me and be my disciple,’ Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him” (Matthew 9:9 NLT).

When the first disciples chose to follow Jesus, they didn’t understand all the implications of their decision. They simply responded to Jesus’ invitation. They decided to follow him.

That’s all you need to get started too: Decide today to become a disciple.

Talk It Over

Think of the moment when you chose to follow Jesus. What did you understand about what it meant to be a believer? What did you not realize?
What are some of the characteristics of Jesus that God has been developing in you?
How do you want God to work in your life? Take some time to pray and ask God to grow you in these areas. And ask for trust and patience as he does it in his time.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 am

Bible Study Verse
When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal… All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. -James 3: 3, 7-8

Thoughts
I ride horses in 10-25 mile short distance events. I am awestruck by competitors who ride further, challenge extremes and defy danger in unpanicked exchange with their horse. They have tamed and trained their horses. An unskilled novice will jerk and pull at bits to overpower a horse. Expert horsemen train horses to respond to the slightest tweaks, by hand pressure barely visible, so that bits produce the desired result. In July 2021, 193 expert riders will compete in The Tevis Cup. The perilous course re-traces Pony Express and gold miner trails around the American River gorge from Lake Tahoe to Auburn, California. Despite months and years of preparation, only about 50% of the entrants who mount to start will finish the race in the 24-hour time limit. For 100 miles, pint-sized riders use skilled hands and measured pressure to manipulate a 5-inch steel bit to guide 1200-1500 lb horses. At their riders’ urging, horses lunge up the 40 degree incline of Cougar Rock. They cross the American River over “No Hands Bridge”. They navigate trails so narrow that past entrants have fallen to their death. All is accomplished by hand pressure on a 5-inch steel rod inside the trained horse’s mouth. Bruce M.

Action Point
As Jesus’ half-brother, James, penned his precaution to “tame our tongues” (Js 3:3), I am reminded of bit-types and hardware used to tame and train horses. Some bits are low-profile, straight rods of steel. Modest bits compensate for unresponsive horses and careless riders. Other bits, like the “Spade Bit” pictured, are used by skilled riders and trained horses. The gentle pressure used for a Spade Bit is so slight that reins are run loose and one-handed. Over-correction with a Spade Bit can injure the horse’s upper pallet and propel a careless rider into another zip code. James cautions us to control our tongues. John, the Apostle, instructs us to speak the truth in love. Christlikeness dispenses God’s truth with abundant mercy and grace. That is, we should speak with light pressure on loose reins.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Life's Healing Choices

Your Commitments Shape Your Life
By Rick Warren — 07/20/2021

“Since everything around us is going to melt away, what holy, godly lives we should be living!"

2 Peter 3:11 (TLB)

Your commitments shape your life more than anything else. Your commitments can develop you—or they can destroy you. But either way, they will define you.

Tell me what you’re committed to, and I’ll tell you what your life will look like in 20 years. You become whatever you’re committed to.

It’s around the idea of commitment where most people miss God’s purpose for their lives. Many people are afraid to commit to anything, so they just drift through life. Others make half-hearted commitments to competing values, which leads to frustration and mediocrity. Others make a full commitment to worldly goals, such as becoming wealthy or famous, and they end up disappointed and bitter.

Every choice has eternal consequences, so you need to choose wisely: “Since everything around us is going to melt away, what holy, godly lives we should be living!” (2 Peter 3:11 TLB).

The first wise decision you need to make is to follow Jesus. You don’t have to understand all the implications of that decision when you make it. You simply need to respond to his invitation and make a commitment to follow him.

Then, as you follow Jesus, commit to the things that build a holy, godly life. Christlikeness will come from making Christlike commitments.

Talk It Over

Based on your commitments, what might people assume about you?
What keeps you from committing to things that will help you develop Christlikeness?
How can the urgency of 2 Peter 3:11 affect the way you make your commitments?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”