This rule’s intent has always been to provide PKC Members a recourse if a tree was fraudulently scored by the “Buddy System” or an unscrupulous non-hunting judge. For example; a telephone pole being circled or a huge hollow den tree being minused. Please see step-by-step process below.
- Question Panel Returning To A Tree Clarification and Reminders -
There still remains some confusion out there about the process and procedure when a cast member requests to take a Question Panel back to look at a tree. As a PKC Member, it is your responsibility to know this procedure. The key points that seem to be forgotten are that, this procedure is reserved only for the purpose of correcting the deliberate, improper scoring of a tree and that EVERY TIME a panel returns to a tree there will be a disciplinary investigation. To avoid any further misunderstanding, the PKC Staff must be contacted for approval prior to any Question Panel returning to a tree. I have broken down the complete process in step-by-step fashion below here and on the PKC Website. Please print this and attach it to your clubhouse wall and save the web link to your phone: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=154434
a) If an Open Event cast member disagrees with the scoring of a tree and calls for a cast vote (at that time), the hunting judge will ask every cast member for their vote. If questioning cast member still disagrees with voting result and believes that it is due to deliberate cheating, he\she may question the call with a $25 deposit to the judge (at that time). If under Pro Rules, a cast member disagrees with the scoring of a tree and believes that it is due to deliberate cheating, he\she may question the call with a $25 deposit to the judge (at that time). In either case, DO NOT call time out, continue on with the hunt. When hunt is over, all cast members must return to club for the Question Panel to hear the $25 question.
b) Upon returning to the club, the Hunt Director will seat a three-member panel to hear the $25 question. The Question Panel will conduct the question just as any other $25 question. This is a requirement and not an option! Chances are, unless there are unusual circumstances, the Question Panel will likely side with the majority of the cast, or the non-hunting judge. Once the questioning cast member’s original $25 question is won or lost, if he/she disagrees and believes he/she was intentionally cheated due to the deliberate and improper scoring of the tree, he/she may request that the panel return to the tree by posting a $100 fee immediately.
c) At this point, a Question Panel member or the Hunt Director will read the entire rule; “16.J. Panel Returning To A Tree” from page #57 in the Blue Book, out loud to all cast and panel members.
d) The Question Panel will consider the appeal request based upon all judge and cast member testimony. If through this cast member testimony, it is evident that the question relates to a tree that could be scored either way, or may be considered a mere difference of opinion, the Question Panel may deny the appeal at their discretion and return the $100 deposit. However, if the Question Panel believes there is merit to the cheating accusation brought forth by the questioning cast member, they may choose to accept the appeal.
e) If the Question Panel does accept the questioning cast member’s appeal, they must call a member of the PKC Staff before proceeding any further. PKC management must first approve any appeal request, before the Question Panel may leave for the woods. At any time before the Question Panel leaves the club to go look at the tree, the questioning cast member may drop their appeal request and have their $100 returned to them with no penalty.
f) If the PKC Staff approves the appeal, the cast members and Question Panel may leave for the woods. Once everyone arrives at the tree and all cast members and judge have verified and agree that it is the correct tree, the cast members and judge should be excused to allow only the three Question Panel Members to look at the tree and make their decision uninterrupted.
g) Once the Question Panel makes their decision on the questioned tree, their decision is final and the scorecard will be changed if required. At this point, every cast member and every Question Panel member must fill out a statement in writing, or typing, to PKC for the disciplinary investigation.
h) PKC will collect all statements and provide them to the Disciplinary Panel. Following the Disciplinary Panel’s decision, Members will be notified in writing if there are any penalties involving them.
- Page # 57 Blue Book 16.J. Panel Returning To A Tree –
This procedure is reserved only for the purpose of correcting the deliberate, improper scoring of a tree and penalizing those involved in doing so. This procedure is not for trees that could be scored either way or may be considered a mere difference of opinion. In order for this option to be exercised, the tree must be questioned at the time of scoring to be brought before a Question Panel. If the questioning cast member loses their initial question with the panel at the club, he/she may request that the panel return to the woods to view the tree by placing a $100 deposit with the Panel Chairman.
1. If the panel inspecting the tree finds the original scoring to be correct, or that the tree's scoring was or could be a mere difference of opinion, the $100 deposit will be forfeited, the scorecard will not be changed and the questioning handler will be automatically charged with misconduct (no exceptions).
2. If the panel inspecting the tree determines that there was blatant and intentional wrongdoing, the scorecard will be changed, the $100 will be refunded and the offending handler(s) will automatically be charged with misconduct (no exceptions).
3. Handlers found guilty, in either circumstance, will be required to serve a minimum of three (3) months suspension and will be assessed a fine of $250 on their first offense. All fines must be paid before the suspension period begins. All forfeited deposits and fine money in these cases will go directly to the PKC Youth Program's Escrow Account.
4. In the event a question panel returns to a tree for scoring, PKC Management reserves the right to extend the deadline for the cast(s) involved or affected by the panel decision in any championship or elimination type event.
This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Director - Field Operations
- Posts: 4216
- Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:11 pm
- PKC Name: Jerry Moll
- City, State: Batesville, IN
- PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
- Lifetime Handler Earnings: $29,791
- Cell #: 812-212-1619
Please prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!
[email protected] @ 812.212.1619
[email protected] @ 812.212.1619